Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Day in Mainz am Rhine

On 26th June, I had the opportunity to make a short visit to Mainz, capital city of Rhineland-Palatinate, around an hour away from Frankfurt am Main. Mainz is the city of Johannes Gutenberg, the inventor of printing with movable type. It's on the confluence of Rhine and Mainz rivers

The photos below are of Mainz's famed Cathedral. The original burned down a day before its consecration in 1066.



Some more photos from near the Cathedral and Mainz's Old town

Schiller


One can also visit the Gutenberg for a history of how the technology of printing evolved over time. I didn't visit the Museum, but visited the Gutenberg's Museum Druckladen (Printshop), where I made some magnificent posters to take back home as memorial. See the video below to see the process of printing the Gutenberg way, as captured by my camera.



My Guru in the DruckLaden (Printshop)

In total, I made 5 posters, two posters of the Dom in Mainz am Rhein and the Goodluck from Guteberg (shown in video above), a potrait of Gutenberg, a page of the 42 page bible with Gutenberg on it.
The photo below is a model of the original Gutenberg's machine.


Some more photos from Mainz:

Schiller Platz
StaatsTheater

Thanks a lot for your time। I hope you liked some of the photos. Comments are welcome.

NEXT: London

3 comments:

sandesh said...

Great blog dude!

Unknown said...

Dost really immpressive but thoda mota ho gaya hai looking cute...my dearest frn..

Rajat Verma said...

I've to pretend to be a bit rotund, so that my parents dont get worried to much ;)